*For consideration please submit your resume and cover letter*
The Greater Washington Partnership is seeking a skilled and motivated individual with knowledge, experience, and interest in economic development, public-private partnerships, and diversity, equity, and inclusion. The Associate will support a fast-paced, high-energy team working to define, shape, execute, and scale the Partnership’s Inclusive Growth initiative focused on making the Capital Region the nation’s leading economic engine of inclusive growth and shared prosperity. By fostering economic opportunity for all, and particularly underserved communities, the region will be more attractive for living and a greater magnet for talent and business investment.
As the Partnership’s newest initiative, the inclusive growth portfolio will be focused on concrete actions that the business community can take across four key pillars: support for small and medium-sized businesses; support for diverse innovation ecosystems; fostering better employment outcomes for the Black and LatinX workforce; and addressing diversity, equity, and inclusion organizational challenges. Additionally, the inclusive growth work will amplify the diversity and equity initiatives underway in the Transportation and CoLAB portfolios, and at our partner organizations.
The Inclusive Growth Associate will work on a critical challenge for our region and country with the potential for ground-breaking impact. Inclusive growth is an urgent priority and both an economic and moral imperative. Cities that have prioritized inclusivity have achieved longer-term growth by becoming a magnet for talent, business, and investment. In fact, data shows that cities that emphasize racial and ethnic inclusion in their economic development plans promote a better economic future for everyone. By McKinsey’s estimates, closing the wealth gap between Black and White Americans would unlock up to $1.5T in new potential value by 2028. By focusing on inclusive growth, the Capital Region can identify and nurture new sources of talent, create a more sustainable and resilient economy, and mitigate the stifling impact of inequality on historically underserved communities.
The Partnership is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive working environment and hiring process.
- Provide direct support to the VP for Inclusive Growth to further the development and implementation of the Partnership’s long-term, strategic plan to strengthen inclusive growth across the Capital Region.
- Help develop a Capital Region inclusive growth blueprint and roadmap to achieve identified 5-10 year objectives.
- Help develop and execute projects, programs, events, and thought leadership to advance inclusive growth agenda.
- Build strategic partnerships and improve engagement with key public, industry, nonprofit, academic, and civic sector stakeholders across the Capital Region.
- Identify strategies to amplify, connect, leverage, and scale Board partner organizations efforts to achieve inclusive growth goals for the region.
- Amplify inclusive growth work underway at the Partnership in the transportation and skills & talent portfolios.
- Analyze, develop, and assist with strategies to support the financial sustainability and scale of the region’s inclusive growth efforts.
- Research and write memos, reports, case studies, blogs, and other documents related to the Partnership’s strategic initiatives, as assigned.
- Support the development of Executive-level presentations, communication materials, and briefing documents.
Qualifications and Experience
- 3 years minimum professional experience (management consulting or strategy experience preferred)
- Results-oriented professional with a strong work ethic
- Top-notch strategic thinking, problem solving, and critical thinking skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; executive presence
- Excellent time management and organization, analytical, and research skills
- Energetic, entrepreneurial nature that combines intellectual curiosity with practical skills
- Ability to work autonomously and handle multiple assignments simultaneously
- Ability to work in a fast-paced startup environment and comfort with ambiguity
- Experience and ability developing PowerPoint presentations
- Understanding of and interest in working at the intersection of business and policy
- Proven track record of achievement across both professional and education experiences
- Passion for our mission and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Empathetic team player with the ability to listen and understand diverse perspectives
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree a plus
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Savvy media awareness
- Familiarity with the Capital Region and regional stakeholders
Description of Organization
The Greater Washington Partnership is a first-of-its-kind civic alliance of CEOs in the region, drawing from the leading employers and entrepreneurs committed to making the Capital Region—from Baltimore to Richmond—one of the world’s best places to work, raise a family, and build a business. Working in collaboration with leaders across our communities, the Partnership connects and leverages the region’s extraordinary assets to advance inclusive, actionable solutions that strengthen the Capital Region as a leading global region and center for commerce and innovation.